On December 14, 2015, the U.S Department of Transportation and the FAA held a media briefing to announce the new registration requirements for small UAS. This special episode provides the audio from the announcement.
The rulemaking will appear in the Federal Register December 15, 2015.
- The requirement applies to sUAS from 0.55 pounds to 55 pounds.
- sUAS purchased before December 21, 2015 have until February 19, 2016 to register.
- sUAS purchased after December 21, 2015 have until first flight outdoors to register.
- There will be a $5 fee, but waived for the first 30 days.
- The registration website goes live December 21, 2015.
- The registration will be valid for three years.
- One registration number applies to all your UAVs.